In Victoria, all subdivisions are conducted through the official planning system. The Subdivision Act primarily focuses on the technical and logistical aspects of getting approvals for subdividing the property. On the other hand, the planning system takes into consideration other aspects to ensure that the land and the associated buildings are developed in a sustainable manner and have considered a range of environmental and social factors.
Simply put, the land subdivision process is complicated and hiring the expertise of a land surveyor can really help ease the stress. Hiring a professional land surveyor can help with the entire application process and recommend any changes that you might otherwise miss.
What is the land subdivision process in Melbourne?
- Before starting the process, hire the help of a licensed land surveyor to help plan the subdivision and a timeline
- Commence the application process for the planning permit for development with subdivision through the Surveying and Planning through Electronic Applications and Referrals (SPEAR).
- The approval of the application submitted to SPEAR ensures that the plan is in accordance with the Planning & Environment Act 1987 and the local planning scheme.
- Submit your plan to the local council for official certification. This ensures that your subdivision plan meets all requirements under the Subdivision Act 1998.
- Arrange to attain all design and engineering plans in order to commence work of subdividing the land
- Obtain the final letter of approval from the council: the statement of compliance. This is an official letter stating that all requirements have been met and the individual can go ahead with the plan for subdivision of land.
- To arrange the applications for the new titles for each of the lots divided, lodge the approved plan to Land Use Victoria for registration alongside all other approvals
Are you considering subdividing your land prior to attaining approvals? It’s recommended that you get the necessary approvals prior to commencing the process of land subdivision. This will ensure that all developments related to the subdivision are approved.
Additionally, depending on the plan of subdivision you have lodged, you may incur costs (aside from payment for surveyors and other entities).
The subdivision process seems daunting and it’s important to make sure that you have everything in place. If you feel overwhelmed by the process, experts are here to help.
The land surveyors team at Linear Land Surveying are expert Melbourne land surveyors. They have over thirty years of experience under their belts and can help with your land subdivision Melbourne. From attaining approvals to provisions and permits as well as the entire land development, Linear Land Surveying can help you. Whether you’re looking to subdivide residentially or for industrial projects, the team can help you make sense of all the requirements and do all the technical work. To ensure that your project runs as smoothly as possible, they offer other land surveying services, as well. These include site analysis surveys, title re establishment surveys and more. Get in touch with them today to see how they can help you.