The durability, flexibility and usability of mild steel is more than just the ingenuity of the producers. It is also a result of the properties that form an important aspect of the entire process of producing mild steel. Mild steel is considered as one of the most commonly used steel types and is effective both in industries for large scale constructions and manufacturing and in homes for regular everyday purposes. Almost 90% of the steel products in the world are made up of mild steel because of its flexibility. This article will focus on the properties, which make it an important aspect of production.
Composition of Mild Steel
Before we proceed to the mechanical properties of mild steel, let us consider the composition of this everyday material, which has revolutionised the world of manufacturing, transportation, automobiles and construction to name a few.
Mild steel contains the following: about 0.16 to 0.18% of carbon (although a maximum of 0.25% is allowable), 0.70 to 0.90% of Manganese, 0.40% of Silicon maximum, 0.04% of sulfur maximum, and about 0.04% of phosphorous maximum.
It is important to know the importance of mild steel properties, especially if you are in the business of manufacturing using mild steel. For a mechanical engineering student or practitioner, the knowledge of mild steel is very significant because it forms a large aspect of their entire study and practice.
Most Important Mild Steel Properties
The calculated average industry grade mild steel density is 7861.093 kg/m3. Its Young’s modulus, a measure of its stiffness is around 210,000 MPa.
A moderate amount of carbon makes this steel different from other types. Carbon atoms get affixed in the interstitial sites of the iron lattice, making it stronger and harder. However, the hardness comes at the price of a decrease in ductility.
Various Uses of Mild Steel
- A small amount of carbon transforms mild steel and causes it to change its form and properties. Varying measures of carbon will result in different types of steels in the final stages of production. In between the iron lattice, there are small spaces. The carbon atoms get attached to these spaces, which make them stronger and harder. The harder the steel the lesser the elasticity and flexibility.
- The modulus of elasticity calculated for the industry grade mild steel is 210,000 Mpa. It has an average density of about 7860 kg/m3. This is effective in the reverse engineering stage, which is used to remake steel into mild steel and into other final products.
- Mild steel serves as a very efficient conductor for electricity and as such, it can be reinvented in the process of welding and used for varying final products. This is because the primary idea of welding involves transferring heat energy through an electric current.
- As a result of its flexibility, mild steel can be reinvented and used for constructing pipelines and other construction resources. Even domestic cookware is manufactured using mild steel. It is elastic and not brittle but hard and durable.
- Mild steel can be easily magnetised because of its ferromagnetic properties. So electrical devices can be made of mild steel. In the United Kingdom, this material is used for the manufacturing of magnetic technology and other related materials.
- Mild steel is very much suitable as structural steel. Different automobile manufacturers also use mild steel for making the body and parts of the vehicle.
- Mild steel can be easily machined in the lathe, shaper, drilling or milling machine. Also, as mentioned above its hardness can be increased by the application of carbon. This makes it an even more viable option for construction and manufacturing. This implies that in production of automobile bodywork, the strength of the metal can be enhanced and refurbished by the strengthening of the mild steel with the use of carbon.
- Mild steel is very much prone to rust because it has a high amount of carbon. Stainless steel on the other hand serves for people who require rust free steel material. When rust free products are needed people prefer stainless steel over mild steel.
- The production and distribution of mild steel provides an entire market for a wide variety of professions, from plumbing to construction, to building, to manufacturing and all of these various professions require the best quality mild steel plates, which can be delivered within at least two weeks from the date of order. This means that people in the business of distributing this mild steel are expected to be prompt with delivery.